maandag 4 april 2011

Find the perfect vacation using social media!

Many people are planning their summer vacation at the moment. I've just booked my own vacation, but perhaps I can interest you with a new tool.

Today, KLM launched an innovative application where you can search for a vacation using personal interests. With KLM Travlr you can use keywords that match your own interests such as shopping, diving or surfing. This makes it fun and easy to look for a vacation, which is adjusted to your individual desires. Furthermore, you can explore destinations that you wouldn’t normally think of.

The content is retrieved from social media such as Twitter, YouTube and Google Maps. The application runs completely on user generated content. In addition, you can share the information you find on social media.

My personal experience
I'm not sure whether I am a big fan of the application just yet. The first time I tried it, the interface was a bit fuzzy to me. When you click on a photograph, the interface jumps to a different screen without any clear connection to the previous one. It looks fancy, but there are too many pop-up windows overlapping. However, after some clicking it became clear to me. My preference goes out to interfaces that take no more than a few minutes to figure out. Today's launched application is still a beta version, so perhaps this is the first possible improvement.


Win-win-situation?
Obviously, a big advantage for the KLM is that they receive a lot of information about potential customers. It sounds like a win-win situation. However, you need to be aware of the fact that KLM keeps track of your personal input. I am also wondering how information is automatically retrieved from social media: can this information be legitimately retrieved from public profiles on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter? I suppose they thought it over carefully, but there are stil some questions on my end..

All in all, I think it's a smart application and I wouldn't be surprised if other travel websites take over this idea soon.

Try it yourself: Travlr Application

0 reacties:

Een reactie posten